Options for replacing Drive sync tool
The current Drive Sync will soon become a thing of the past, so choosing a new sync tool should be on your list of things to do.
As of March 2018, the current Drive Sync Tool will be discontinued and will no longer be supported as soon as December 2017. So here’s what we encourage you to do:
Replace Drive Sync with Drive File Stream
Drive File Stream is a new desktop application that allows you to quickly access all of your Google Drive files on demand, directly from your computer, meaning you use almost none of your hard drive space and spend less time waiting for files to sync.
You’ll see settings in the Admin console for Drive File Stream (located at Apps > G Suite > Drive and Docs > Data Access). Read more.
As an alternative to or in addition to installing Drive File Stream, you can upgrade to the new version of Drive for Mac/PC, called Backup and Sync.
Unsure which tool your organisation should use? Below you can compare sync solutions:
We recommend that you plan to transition away from Drive Sync in good time.
You should be considering:
- Which solution(s) to use and support in your organisation
- Trialing them with a small set of users
- Creating a transition plan
How can Refractiv help?
For our Helpdesk Customers:
We will provide:
- Further general advice and guidance
- Documented guidelines and suggested best practice steps to transition
- A webinar on the 14th November at 4.00pm (GMT) with our G Suite expert to demonstrate the new Sync tools and next steps. To book your place, click here.
Need help? If you’re not currently a Helpdesk customer, don’t worry. We have a number of options ranging from ad hoc support to a fully managed service. Take a look at our G Suite Helpdesk Services here.
We’re here to help.